Tuesday, September 13, 2011

must try

This recipe is a must try.  It is Jon's favorite dessert that I make.  Not that I make very many desserts, which leaves him with very few options really, but that is neither here nor there.  I am not big into cooking.  I have very little skill as a cook/baker.  But this recipe even I can do, which means anyone over the age of 8 can also do it.  Seriously, try it.  You'll be glad you did.

Chocolate Chip-Cream Cheese Squares 
 {aka the most delish cream cheese brownie/cake you've ever eaten}

Very first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

This dessert is comprised of two simple batters.

First batter
In a medium bowl mix:
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Beat mixture with electric mixer until smooth.

When done mixing, stir in 6 oz chocolate chips {sometimes I put in a little more.  chocolate chips=the more the merrier}

Set aside.

Second batter
In a large bowl mix:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa {I prefer Hershey's}
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup water
Stir all ingredients together with a spoon (the batter will be thin).

After it's all mixed, add 1 TBS vinegar.  As you begin to stir the vinegar in, the batter will begin to look like this:


Keep stirring until it looks like this:


Pour the second batter into a 9x13-inch greased pan.

Drop first batter by spoonfuls over second batter in the pan.

As you can see, I like to go around the edges first in an attempt to make them more desirable because everybody knows the middle is always better.  Except in the backseat of the car, then the middle is not better.

After you have transferred all the cream cheese mixture to the pan, grab a butter knife to swirl through mixture, making a simple S shape, like so:

Now that baby is ready to pop into the preheated oven.

Set the timer for 35 minutes and wait.

While waiting, pass the time by laughing at the cookbook this recipe came out of.

Yes that pig is carrying a purse and yes that pig looks like it's going to crush that horse.

My grandma gave me this cookbook as a wedding gift.  That was five years ago.  This is the only recipe I make out of it.  I tried to make one other recipe from it the first year we were married, Georgia Lee's Pumpkin Roll.  It was too hard for this then-aspiring-cook.  I've since accepted my fate and so has Jon.

After 35 minutes, check your cake.  I know most people say to check it with a toothpick, but that's too fancy for me.  Seriously, do people use toothpicks at home other than for cooking purposes?  I would think not; why not just use floss if you've got something in your teeth?  Anyway, I check mine with a knife.  If it comes out clean, you're good to go.

Ta-duh!


Grab yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy!


Try it and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!