Wednesday, September 28, 2011

shabby chic conversion

We got this bakers rack for free.  The owner of our last house had left it when she moved out.  It was outdated and ugly, so we just moved it out to the patio and used it to hold gardening stuff.  It sat there in all its wood/green metal glory for 4 years.  yep four.  And then it managed to make the move up to Portland with us.  At this point I thought to myself, "this sucka' needs a facelift".  So that's just what I did.

I forgot to take a before picture, so in the above pic I had already covered half of it in primer, but you can still see what it originally looked like.  The top shelves were the same wood color as the desk portion, and all the rest of it was that dark green metal.

1 coat of primer + 2 coats of Rust-oleum spray paint in Blossom White + distressing with fine sandpaper + 3 coats spray on water based polyurethane =



I love it!  Maybe I should drop out of school and become a furniture refinisher.  No?  Okay, maybe I am getting a little ahead of myself.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a great transformation! I absolutely love the final result! Oh, and the hobo costume is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I vote for that one :)

    xox Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it probably took me longer than it should have, but I love it!
    And I'm leaning towards the hobo costume too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! Awesome job! Did it already have the drawers in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yeah, it already had the drawers, they just weren't in the before picture because I had already taken them out to work on it. I'm definitely not crafty enough to build drawers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!