Wednesday, October 5, 2011

picasso

{source}
I first saw this picture at IKEA a couple of years ago, it is the perfect blend of sophistication and fun.  I really wanted to hang it in Sam's room, but living on a student's budget I was not too keen on spending 40 bucks.  So I never bought it.  Instead I would just longingly gaze at it every time I went to IKEA.  My trip to the beloved store last week was no different, but as I stood looking at it this time I thought to myself, "I could that".  So I did.

I started with this picture that was a hand-me-down from a family friend.


It actually didn't look exactly like this.  I forgot again to take a picture before I started.  This is pretty close though, the only thing that I had changed at this point was painting the matting white, it was originally a light blue color.

After googling "picasso animal sketches", I was able to find the pictures I wanted.  I adjusted the size and printed them off.  Unfortunately, increasing the size caused the pictures to become too pixelated, so I traced the images onto another sheet with a charcoal pencil.

Here is the final product:


I had originally intended to paint the picture frame black and use a white background just like the inspiration, but I decided that using a little color would be more fun for a little boy's room.

And since I still had several more Picasso pictures to use, I couldn't stop there!  These little white frames have been laying in a box for probably about a year and a half because I could never figure out what to do with them.  Voila!


Sam now sleeps in a Picasso gallery.

2 comments:

  1. i have that picasso painting from ikea--and i love it! i almost like yours better though...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You're a lucky lady to own the "original" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!