Friday, January 20, 2012

feelin' craftsy




I was at West Elm over the weekend and came across the cutest little bird sculpture covered with strips from the pages of an old book.  I decided then and there that I'd have to come up with a way to incorporate something similar into my home.  The next day this popped up on my pinterest page and I knew just what to do.

I went online and googled "bird silhouette" and found one that tickled my fancy {yes, I am secretly an old lady who uses phrases that were meant to be left in the 1950's}.  After printing it, I cut it out and traced the outline onto a piece of cardboard.  I used a cereal box.

After cutting the birds out of the cardboard, I turned my attention to cutting out the paper strips.  I chose an old book that had slightly yellowed pages because I like the character it adds.  Rip a few pages out of the book and cut them into strips, varying the width and angle.

Cover one side of the bird with a thin layer of regular white glue.  Lay the strips down at different angles.  Don't worry about overlap or having them extend beyond the edges.  You will be trimming off the excess once the glue has dried.


After trimming off the excess paper, used a little modge podge {I made my own with 1 part glue to 1 part water} and again, spread a thin layer over the front side of the bird.  This will help hold the paper strips on as well as give it a nice glazed finish.



Grab an old frame {I painted mine} and run a thin wire across it.  I anchored the wire with a staple gun {okay, Jon anchored it with the staple gun}. Then tie your twine/ribbon/string to the wire.  Once the birds are dry, hot glue the twine to the back of the bird.

Now, sit back, grab a nice cup of hot chocolate {or glass of wine...} and enjoy your handy work!


6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! It looks like something I could actually pull off (so not crafty!!)!! Have a great weekend! Tagged you in a post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! Nicely done! I Like how the pages have an antiqued look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowseee, talk about cuteee!!!

    This is yet another summer must do for me, I have 1 and a bit months left and I'm going to do this! How cuteeee!!

    Cheers for sharing

    x
    Nichola

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cute! i love this. i think i need to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!