Monday, April 16, 2012

plans

 
shirt, sweater, belt: Target, pants: Ross, shoes: Banana Republic, scarf: vintage

Six years ago, I was preparing to graduate with my bachelors in psychology & I had plans for graduate school swirling through my head.  I wanted to get my PhD and work in clinical psychology.  Fast-foward six years, I'm about 1.5 months away from graduating, not with a PhD, but rather with a second bachelors degree in nursing.  That was not "the plan".  But I'm so glad my path took the twists & turns that have lead me to where I am now.

Five & a half years ago, I got married.  My husband had a great job with no intention of ever going back to school.  Fast-forward one year, we were selling our home and packing our stuff so he could got back to school with dreams of becoming a doctor someday {hello minimum of a decade of schooling}.  Not in "the plan".  But I'm so glad we took the risk and he's now on his way to fulfilling his dreams.

Four years ago, I was working on my nursing prerequisites and beginning the process of applying for accelerated nursing/nurse practitioner programs.  Jon was working hard on his bachelors degree.  The plan was to finish school, then start thinking about a family.  Fast-forward three months, surprise! It's time to start preparing for our little family to grow.  Not in "the plan".  But waaay better and more awesome in every way than our original plan could have ever been.

Right now, I'm working on my resume and beginning to apply for nursing jobs.  But there aren't any.  Not in "the plan".  But you know what?  Looking back over the past six years I realize that if I've learned anything it's that plans change.  I will keep working my butt off and doing my part, but I also need to remember to keep an open mind because my plans tend to fail. a lot. and God just may have some other plans up his sleeve for me.

11 comments:

  1. You go girl! Looks like things have worked out so far! I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a journey for sure. And yes, things never turn out like you may think. I can attest to that. God always seems to have surprises up His sleeve.
    Nice to meet you Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it crazy how things don't go as planned, but they always seem to work out? I'm learning that it's okay to plan things but be open to things happening not the way I plan out! Sounds like you three have had a lot of plan changes the last few years! Good luck with finding a nursing job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep trusting in Him. I love your positive outlook and am so glad plans changed so that we could meet your sweet family!

    I need frequent reminders to continue trusting in him & meditating on this well-known verse throughout the day always helps!

    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Prov 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete
  5. God always knows what is better for us!!!
    This is a great post!!!
    This day starts in a good way!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds like our family! And God's plan always turns out to be bigger and better than what we could come up with :). What a great outlook you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep your chin up hon! Everything happens for a reason, and there is DEFINITELY a plan out there for you!
    (btw, ADORABLE outfit!!)
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors in your outfit - so cute! I'm a nurse too :) Hang in there - nurses are always needed, so I'm sure something will come your way!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm about to marry a man I would not have even met if "the plan" had worked like I thought it would in the past 6 years... We have no clue what will happen, and it's great like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your positive attitude. This is the way anyone should go through life.
    I enjoyed a lot your story. Good luck!

    Zadin ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great post! I'm so glad you posted on my blog and I found yours! You live life similar to me. God has this big plan and he always laughs when I try to make them. His plans are bigger and better than I can ever imagine and sometimes I just have to have faith that in the end it all works out just like it should!

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!