Monday, July 16, 2012

'workin woman' is my middle name


Big news... I got a job offer today!  An honest to goodness miracle for a new nurse in Oregon these days, and such a a huge blessing for my family.  We are so grateful, so relieved and so happy.  I've got a couple more weeks of summer freedom, then off to work for me! {And no, not that kind of a workin' woman, sickos!}  We celebrated by eating lunch at Costco, of course.  Because that's what high rollers do.

 A couple of weeks ago, I had a lot of thoughts running through my head and some big decisions to make.  I wrote out some of my rambling thoughts {below}, but never posted it.  I was just so torn on what to do.  But looking back on it now, I am at peace with my decision and am so thrilled by how well it works for my family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are so many motivators in life.  Money, success, love, family, reputation, pleasure, the list goes on and on.  Oh, and pride.  That one too...

Remember this post from awhile back.  That was right about the time the bottom fell out of the nursing market here in Oregon.  And I've just been praying and praying ever since that I can get a job, any job, as a nurse.  Prior to that point in time I was so dead set on being a critical care nurse.  That was the only thing that would do.  I worked hard all throughout the five months of my preceptorship on a critical care unit, gaining valuable knowledge and experience, worked hard all throughout nursing school to earn good grades, and did my best to make connections.  But none of those things matter when the jobs just aren't there.  That was a humbling time.

Well things turned around a little bit for me on the job front last week.  An opportunity arose for a nursing job, a real life nursing job, and it's mine if I want it.  An answered prayer!  Not quite my *dream job*, but a wonderful option and a huge blessing nonetheless.

Then the next day, I got a call from one of the local hospitals about landing a follow-up interview on their Cardiovascular ICU.  My honest to goodness dream job.  I felt a rush of excitement and went ahead and scheduled the interview.  But once I calmed down and weighed the pros and cons, I knew that the logistics of this job {e.g. night shift, weekends, holidays, inconsistent schedule, not located by grandma to watch Sam} would be much more difficult on my family, requiring many more sacrifices of Jon, Sam, and myself.

Jon and I talked and talked and talked about it and decided that regardless of the outcome of my *dream job* interview, I should probably just accept the other position that is better for our family.  You see, in nursing you have the ability to reinvent yourself many times over the span of your career.  So, while I wouldn't be starting in my dream position, I could still slowly work my way into that position at a later point in time.  So that was the decision: a temporary personal sacrifice on my part for the betterment of my family as a whole.

I almost cancelled the interview with the CVCU.  But I didn't.  I went and interviewed, toured the facility, learned more about the position and felt the excitement bubbling up again.  I also learned that 200 people had applied for the position, only 6 got interviews, and only 1 will get a position
  1. This made me feel frickin' awesome.  {I beat out 194 other people for an interview??!  Who did I fool to get here??}
  2. I wanted the job offer. 
I wanted the job--but not really.  I already knew it wasn't the best option for my family.  So why did I want the job offer? 
Pride.  I wanted to know that I could have had it if I wanted it.  That even if I wasn't willing to accept this highly sought after position, it was still offered to me.  Isn't that silly?  I truly don't want it {atleast not more than the well being of my family}, but I want to say I could have had it.  Silly, I know.

I'll find out tomorrow if I get the *dream job* offer or not.  Truth is, even as much as I want to be the one to say "no", I'm praying I dont' get the offer.  Because while it might feel good to be able to puff out my chest and say "I coulda if I wanted to", actually saying "Thanks, but no thanks" might be nearly impossible.  Or just plain impossible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:  I thought I'd better clarify what ended up happening during the past couple of weeks since I initially wrote the above blurb.  The offer for the *dream job* went to a candidate with more experience than myself and the position I received the job offer on was the more 'family friendly' one.  Certainly made the decision a little easier :). 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!!!! Can't wait to hear the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great you got a job offer! I can understand the pride thing of wanting them to offer it to you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading all you wrote I really think you should consider getting that job you dreamed about. Consider the potential call as a sign... God may really want to put you into that position... And on the other hand I really believe, if you refuse the dream job, you will ask yourself the rest of your life... what if...

    I'm sure your family will understand and will support you no matter what you will decide.

    This is my honest opinion.

    Zadin ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the job! I'm sure it is such a relief and great feeling to have that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge congratulations! Especially for beating out 199 other people to get the job. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything works out for a reason! It must feel great that you at least got that far in that job...and with more experience next time and when the time is right...it will be there and bam you'll have it!

    It's often hard to make decisions based on the bigger picture and not the wants we have. Congrats and hope it all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!