Thursday, April 4, 2013

a letter to my husband


Dear Jon,

Today is your birthday!  Your 29th birthday.  And I just have one question: where did the time go??  Were we not just a couple of kids, young and in love, excitedly discussing marriage, life, children, & the future?  And now look at us... just a couple of adults, not quite as young but still in love, still discussing marriage {6 years in and going strong!}, life, children, & the future.

Oh.  Well, I guess things are still pretty good.  Actually, even better I'd dare say.

Yep, you heard me, better, even with the onset of creaking bones, fine lines and gray hairs.  You see, you and I are like a fine wine.  Or at least that's what I hear.  You know me, I don't know much about fine wines.  Give me your cheapest moscato and I'm a happy camper.  But that's beside the point, which is that you are 29 today.  And I am so lucky to have been the one by your side over the last decade, watching you grow and transform and become the amazing man & father you are today. And I feel that even more so now than before, you and I are on the path to becoming who we were meant to be.  Which sometimes {okay, a lot of times} hasn't been easy, but ohhh so worth it.

In the words of the ever-so-wise Velveteen Rabbit,
"You become.  It takes a long time.  That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily or have sharp edges or who have to be carefully kept.  Generally, by the time you are Real, most of the hair has been loved off and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby.  But these things don't matter at all because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

So, here's to you & I becoming.  Our path is still long, but we are on our way, and I can't think of any other hand I'd rather hold on this journey.

And in the meantime, lets live it up, this last year of twenty-hood.  And when we start feeling  bad about the ever impending 30's we can just remember the wise words of the 16 year old girl who works at Chuck e Cheese, "Oh you're not old, my parents are older than you".
Okay, maybe don't think about that.

I love you Jon! Happy Birthday!!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your hubby! What a sweet letter. I'm all good with a nice cheap Moscato too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haaaaaaahahahahaa you're so sweet. i love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I love this! Sweet and funny :)

    Happy birthday to your hubby!

    Completely hear you about a cheap bottle of moscato. Sign me up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday to your Jon!
    and I love that quote from Velveteen Rabbit!
    floral&fudge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your main squeeze!

    Dani // andbubblegum.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!