Thursday, May 9, 2013

yoda juice

News flash:  sometimes kids don't love to eat their veggies.
Heck, some days I don't like to eat my veggies.
But luckily, our little family has been able to claim one small victory in our battle against veggie-less-ness.  Yoda Juice.



No, it does not actually call for a small, green, jedi knight among the list of ingredients.  It's not even juice for pete's sake, it's a smoothie!  But Sam loves Star Wars and the color was reminiscent of the little green fella', so the name stuck.

We've been making this smoothie for the past several months now and initially did a lot of experimenting to get the most bang for our buck nutrition wise without sacrificing flavor, finally settling on this recipe.  Depending on what we have available we may switch out the strawberries for different kinds of fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc., or we may throw in a banana, peach or mango to mix things up.  We typically use frozen {or canned, in the case of the pineapple} fruit as they are easier to keep on hand year round, make prep time much faster without any need for peeling or slicing, and are affordable.  The following recipe however, is our 'basic recipe'.  Simple, nutritious & delish.


Yoda Juice
  • 1 can sliced pineapple in 100% juice {pour in whole can, juice included} 
  • 1 cup frozen {or fresh} strawberries 
  • 5 cups fresh spinach 
  • 6 oz. vanilla yogurt  {Tillamook brand is our fave, seriously tastes like ice cream} 
  • 2/3 cup frozen edamame, shelled
Throw pineapple, strawberries, yogurt and edamame in blender.  Blend until smooth.  Add spinach 1-2 cups at a time.  Continue to blend until all smooth.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Some days I'll whip this up for a quick snack for the little guy, but it also makes a great on-the-go lunch for me.  Either way, we've found this one to be a keeper!

But you don't have to take my word for it, the proof is in the puddin'...


 {and yes, he is wearing his most fave Darth Vader t-shirt.  while drinking yoda juice.  mind blown.}

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Wouldn't have thought of putting edemame in there! Looking forward to trying this! It's pretty too! Maybe the name of the drink will win Andrew over too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! Although, I'll be totally honest with you...I don't think there is any name in the world I could call the "juice" to get my picky one to drink it! ha ha! Sam is adorable drinking it though!
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to so try this tonight, I have all the ingredients save for the edemame. Love the inspiration behind the name...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds so good! I love the name. I'm searching for Tillamook yogurt now.

    floral&fudge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what you would suggest instead of yougurt? I don't like yogurt (I know, everyone loves it right? Not me. ) and since you said you experimented, I thought maybe you could tell me. Would you just skip it or substitute for something else?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!