Thursday, June 6, 2013

skinny sausage & kale soup

Back in the day I used to make sure the fridge was packed full of healthy options and a nutritious dinner was on the table each night.  Then somewhere among mountains of textbooks & piles of case studies, this ambition was lost.  But do not fret my friends, because I am back to reclaim it and gosh darn if this little fam isn't going to start eating healthier again!  Seriously, it must be some kind of a travesty to eat as much Costco pizza as we do.  But no more.  No more.


This soup is one of our new favorites.  A simple & healthy recipe, reminiscent of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana.  The key to the flavor of the soup lies in the sausage you choose.  If you choose the wrong sausage, your soup will likely turn out bland.  We prefer to use Isernio's Premium Hot Italian Chicken Sausage, low in fat, full of flavor.

 Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground Isernio's Premium Hot Italian Chicken Sausage
  • 5 red potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2- 14 oz cans chicken broth
  • 6 cups water {Give or take to your preference--I like my soup brothy}
  • 2 cups kale, chopped
  • 1/2 cup low fat sour cream

Directions:
  •  Cook sausage on medium-high heat until brown. {I like to cook it in the pot I'll be mixing all the soup ingredients into later, this way I don't lose any of the liquid or oils that come out of the meat during the cooking process.  The sausage holds the flavor of the soup, so don't waste it!}
  • Slice potatoes and onions. In separate skillet, saute onions, potatoes and garlic until done.
  • In large pot combine all ingredients except sour cream. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, mix in sour cream and serve. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. My husband is a fan of Costco, and we used to always have a couple of pizzas in the freezer. For the past few months we have been paying more attention to what we eat. We started by watching our portions. We were eating way too much and slowly reduced that. And then I also researched ways of making our meals even healthier. It's a process that takes time but with each change or habit, we feel much better. We can now see results as we feel healthier too. So it's worth it! Don't give up. I'll try to blog about it sometimes soon so you can find more ideas perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! May just try this this week.

    DAni // andbubblegum.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!