Friday, July 26, 2013

beach people


Around Portland there are three categories you can divide people into {according to me} based on where they run off to in their free time.  Some people are mountain people, some are city people, and some people are beach people.  We definitely fall into the latter.

For me, this love affair started as a child.  I spent the majority of my childhood in California and therefore my childhood memories are filled with sand castles, jumping waves and digging for sand crabs.  The ocean calls to me like nowhere else.  It's beauty and serenity is unsurpassed.  My favorite aunt loves to remind me of the time she came to visit us from the Midwest and my family {of course} took her to the ocean.  She recalls that I scrambled up on to a rock, opened my arms out as wide as they could reach and loudly proclaimed, "Ocean, my ocean!".  She then made me promise her that one day I would buy a house on the ocean where she could come visit, to which I happily obliged.

I suppose you could say I started young as an ocean addict.

Obviously, I still don't own that ocean front home, but this doesn't stop me from visiting whenever the opportunity arises.


And bringing friends along.  

And inadvertently matching them...
...now if I was 12 years old again, this probably would not have been an accident, but at the ripe ol' age of 29, I'll just chalk it up to  'great minds think alike'.

^^This picture makes me laugh.  Does it not capture motherhood perfectly??  He happily explores the world while his mama looks on, trying her best to let him be independent, but has her arms outstretched, always at the ready. 


Ocean, my ocean.

2 comments:

  1. I too fall into the "beach people" category. Wasn'talways that way though cause I grew up in a landlocked country. Looks like u had a.lovely family beach day. Absolutley love the outfit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me want to go to the beach.... it's been too long. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!