Wednesday, October 9, 2013

independence & being a kid

We've been trying something new around here.  Not that it's been without it's struggles {on my part mostly}.  Over the past few months, Sam has  been trying to stretch his 'independence legs', as he should, I suppose.  I mean the boy is four & a half {already????}.  Anyway, one area he has really zoned in as actively seeking his independence is dressing himself.  I remember my little sisters going through this phase and thought it so silly when my mom would fret over what they chose to dress themselves in.  She would lament over the fact that one had already worn that same skirt for the past 3 days or that the other had "so many nice clothes... why does she need to wear that one?".  And I would laugh and remind her they're just kids after all.  She looked at me and said, "Just you wait until one day when you have kids."  Oh, mama, I'll let my kids wear whatever their little hearts desire.

Dang that mama and her foreshadowing.  Why mama are you so smart?? These are but a few phrases that have come out of my mouth in the past few months, "But Jooon, he has so many nice clothes!", "Oh no, not the batman shirt again...", "Ummmm... I'm not sure those rain boots are seasonally appropriate for July".  And while I have a lovely selection of little man clothes for my boy, he chooses to wear only things inspired by superheroes or what he considers inspired by superhero alter egos {eg. Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, etc.}.  And most days runs around looking like this:


Or this:

Yes, ma'am.  'Tis true.

When I now buy his clothes I try to compromise a bit.  What items will he actually wear that I don't just entirely despise?  Sigh....  This process is only made harder by photos floating around out there such as these:
via pinterest

For a brief moment I see pictures such as these and think, "if only Sam would let me dress him like that!".

But truth be told, when I stop to think about it, I want my kid to be a kid.
I want him run like a kid,
play like a kid,
get dirty like a kid,
imagine like a kid,
dream like a kid,
and yes, dress himself like a kid.

So if this means a closet full o' superhero, I'll take it.

Manhood can wait.  And in the meantime, we'll work on his blossoming independence one step at a time.

5 comments:

  1. Those kids can't be real! They can't be. They do look adorable but there are just so many more important things then making sure your child is up on the latest trends. I used to see kids wearing weird things before and I didn't understand why their parents let them put that on. Now I know. Kids have a mind of their own and it's way different then an adult mind. And probably not worth the battle to get them to put on something different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son just wore shorts on a on Saturday. We live in England. I feel your pain, I like to think of their dress taste as endearing haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, my mom use to fret too! Sometimes I see pictures of when we dressed our selves and I cringe but it was the fun of being a kid.

    I just hope I can remember that when I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kids that are just kids!
    They have so much time for being men!
    Childhood is probably the best part of our lives!
    And you surely feel safe being surronded by all those superheroes!!!
    Have a nice Friday!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!