Monday, January 6, 2014

shrimp with angel hair in simple cream sauce



I love a simple recipe.  I think we all know this by now.

This one we whipped up on Christmas Eve.  Jon & I have a tradition of cooking a special meal together on Christmas Eve, just for the three of us, and let me tell you, menu discussions begin weeks in advance.  It's our own little calm before the storm.  That's a terrible analogy for Christmas day.  I love Christmas day.  I also love this tradition.  And this recipe, I love this recipe too.  The green onions, garlic and Parmesan blend together beautifully to create an absolutely wonderful flavor for this sauce.

Shrimp with angel hair in simple cream sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 (16 ounce) package dry angel hair noodles
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 pound medium shrimp - thawed, peeled and deveined
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste (don't be stingy on these!  I added quite a bit of both to achieve the flavor I was looking for)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Instructions:

  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook per packaging instructions.
  2. Melt butter in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook for 2 minute. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp has turned pink. Reduce heat to medium-low.
  3. Pour half-and-half, salt, and pepper into the pan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add cornstarch.  Do not boil.
  4. Gradually sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese into sauce and continue stirring until melted. Sauce should begin to thicken by this point. Remove from heat.
  5. Toss cooked pasta into the pan, coating thoroughly. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
  6. Serve and enjoy! 



2 comments:

  1. I'll be making this! It looks so good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these are pretty cool. If would respect the list more if it weren’t so mac centric however. Nice list either way… more info visit "Rent Flats Barcelona "

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear from you!